The World Health Organization has announced that Coronavirus (COVID-19) is a pandemic. All levels of government within Australia are taking steps to minimise the spread of this virus through the community.
As community groups you will need to take additional care when considering, organising or undertaking your normal activities. Especially considering the social distancing advice.
- Pay close attention to good hand hygiene. Wash your hands regularly with soap and water, especially before eating, touching your face and after using the toilet.
- Practice cough/sneezing etiquette by coughing into your elbow as opposed to hands and sneezing with a tissue. Dispose of the tissue into a bin and then wash your hands afterwards.
- Avoiding close contact with others, such as touching, shaking hands, hugging and kissing.
- Regularly wipe down surfaces.
- Face masks are not recommended for use by members of the public in Queensland.
- If you feel unwell and develop a fever or shortness of breath, a cough or respiratory illness do not go to work, meetings or events and contact your doctor.
There are plenty of resources online to refer to and keep up to date with the latest information relating to government decisions and guidance.
It is a good time to stop and consider what you may need to postpone or change based on the expected length of this event.
Some QWaLC member groups have already decided to postpone or cancel planned events, forums or workshops.